Breaking News: Triumph Press Release – 2023 Speed Twin Breitling Edition
Introducing an exciting new partnership between Breitling and Triumph Motorcycles, with a truly unique premium limited edition of Triumph’s class-leading Speed Twin and Breitling’s distinctive Top Time watch.Tweet
EMBARGO: February 22nd 2022, 8:00am ET
A SPECTACULAR NEW PARTNERSHIP! TRIUMPH SPEED TWIN BREITLING LIMITED EDITION
AND BREITLING TRIUMPH EDITION TOP TIME CHRONOGRAPH
Introducing an exciting new partnership between Breitling and Triumph Motorcycles, with a truly unique premium limited edition of Triumph’s class-leading Speed Twin and Breitling’s distinctive Top Time watch.
Both globally renowned for their precision, quality, and style, and both innovators in their fields, Breitling has played a pioneering role in the development of the modern chronograph, matched by Triumph’s indelible impact in shaping the evolution of the motorcycle.
With a peerless heritage and an endless passion for engineering excellence, performance and beauty, this new partnership demonstrates Breitling and Triumph’s shared ambition that embraces the future with an unwavering focus on perfection in motion.
Born from a shared philosophy of bold and original design, and a flair for precision craftsmanship, these two beautiful Triumph Breitling editions bring these core values together.
2023 TRIUMPH SPEED TWIN BREITLING LIMITED EDITION
• Stylish and distinctive Breitling edition paint scheme, incorporating a unique
polychromatic blue color matched to the original 1951 Triumph Thunderbird color
• Hand painted coach line detailing
• Unique premium features and finishes, including:
- bespoke instrument faces with styling cues from the watch design
- unique perforated black leather seat with stitched detailing
- branded billet machined engine detailing
• Higher specification fully adjustable Öhlins piggy-back twin rear suspension
units with gloss black springs, unique to the Speed Twin Breitling edition
• All the latest generation Speed Twin 2022 upgrades, including more power and higher performance, higher specification brakes, suspension and tires, enhanced technology
and even more beautiful style and detailing
• Limited to 270 Breitling edition motorcycles worldwide
• Each bike completely unique with an individually numbered handlebar clamp
• Certificate of authenticity carrying the signature of Triumph CEO Nick Bloor and Breitling
CEO Georges Kern
• Opportunity to purchase a Breitling Top Time Triumph limited-edition chronograph
with a personalized matching edition number
Unique and beautiful Polychromatic Blue scheme
Complementing the blue and black face of the Breitling Speed Twin edition chronometer, the beautiful Polychromatic Blue scheme of the new Breitling edition Speed Twin was inspired by the legendary blue Triumph Thunderbird 6T, as immortalised by Marlon Brando’s Triumph in the iconic 1953 biker movie ‘The Wild One’.
Color matched using a spectrograph to an original 1950’s Triumph factory paint sample book, using a mint condition color chip of the original Thunderbird paint option. The Polychromatic Blue is a custom mixed color, hand masked and painted with a matching jet black stripe and Breitling script. This unique limited edition scheme is complemented by exquisite hand painted detailing applied by lead Triumph paint team artist Gary Devine, and a jet black side panel and headlamp bowl.
This very special edition comes with higher specification fully adjustable Öhlins piggy-back twin rear suspension units, with gloss black springs, and all the latest generation Speed Twin upgrades, including more power and higher performance, higher specification brakes, suspension and tires, enhanced technology, and even more beautiful detailing.
Unique engine detailing
The Breitling limited edition Speed Twin features Billet machined aluminium clutch and alternator embellishers with a subtle dark anodised finish. Bespoke for the Breitling edition models, exquisitely machined Breitling branding provides additional distinctiveness.
Exclusive premium leather seat
Perforated black leather seat with contrast grey stitching, complementing the Breitling edition watch strap, with pillowed ribbed detailing and black single stitching detail with an elegant Breitling “B” embroidered branding.
Bespoke Breitling Speed Twin instrument faces
Developed in partnership with Breitling, the limited-edition motorcycle comes with beautifully unique instrument faces featuring styling cues taken from the Breitling Top Time Triumph watch dial.
Limited to 270 worldwide
Strictly limited to 270 motorcycles worldwide, each Breitling edition Speed Twin is completely unique, featuring an individually numbered handlebar clamp and each of them will come with a one-of-a-kind certificate of authenticity, carrying the signature of Triumph Motorcycles’ CEO Nick Bloor and Georges Kern, CEO of Breitling. The limited number available, 270, celebrates the acclaimed Speed Twin’s 270-degree parallel twin engine. All Speed Twin Breitling Limited Edition owners will also have the unique opportunity (if requested by August 22, 2022 / first ownership) to purchase their own Breitling Top Time Triumph limited-edition chronograph with a personalized matching edition number.
BREITLING TOP TIME TRIUMPH CHRONOGRAPHS
• An eye-catching ice-blue dial references both the Speed Twin’s Polychromatic Blue and a rare, blue-dialed Breitling Top Time from the 1970s
• A high-precision chronograph for reading time, timekeeping and tracking speed, the movement is a COSC-certified chronometer, the marker of superior accuracy
• Two distinct versions of the Top Time Triumph chronograph released, with one reserved for Speed Twin Breitling Limited Edition owners and individually numbered to match the edition number of the bike
Stylish design detailing
In the mid-1960s, inspired by motor-racing and café-racer culture, Willy Breitling set out to capture the speed-driven style of the day with a completely new take on the timekeeper. The result was the Breitling Top Time, an unconventional chronograph that quickly became the watch of choice for a sporty in-crowd of men and women equally drawn to the watch’s bold proportions.
Today that spirit is back in two distinct versions of the Top Time Triumph chronograph, with one reserved specifically for those who purchase a Speed Twin Breitling Limited Edition. The core-collection version features an opalescent, vertically brushed dial. The owners-only version has a radiant sunray-finished dial. Speed Twin owners who place their watch order with Triumph by August 22, 2022, will have the privileged opportunity to obtain this made-to-order watch engraved with the number of their bike.
The highlight of both watch versions is the ice blue of their dials. This unique color has, as references, both the Polychromatic Blue Triumph Thunderbird 6T from 1951 and a rare, blue-dialled Breitling Top Time Ref. 815 from the 1970s.
Features include a subdued racing-themed calfskin leather strap that lets the hero dial shine. Breitling and Triumph logos sit subtly at 12 and 6 o’clock. Oversized mushroom pushers allow for easy control over the chronograph’s stop-start and reset functions, and a high-contrast tachymeter scale provides clear legibility of speed readings. The watches are powered by the Breitling Caliber 23, a COSC-certified chronometer with a power reserve of approximately 48 hours.
Another feature collectors will love: The watches’ casebacks are etched with a detailed design sketch of the iconic Triumph parallel twin engine. The positioning of this sketch is very deliberate. It demonstrates the deep layering of details on the motorcycles themselves, some of it only apparent to those who have the close association of ownership or a deep knowledge of the original motorcycles.
THE NEW 2022 SPEED TWIN AN EVOLUTION IN EVERY DIMENSION
Launched in 2018, the Speed Twin set the benchmark for how a Modern Classic performance roadster should ride and feel thanks to its class-leading handling, thrilling and responsive engine, advanced rider technology and beautiful, modern custom style with category-defining premium finish and detailing.
An award-winning motorcycle, the Speed Twin has been a great success and a customer favourite. Recognised for having the power and torque of the Thruxton R in an even more accessible set up, the Speed Twin delivered the contemporary custom style and engaged ride of the Street Twin, with even more premium and beautiful details and touches.
And now the latest generation Speed Twin, significantly updated for 2022, delivers an evolution in every dimension, from power and performance, to handling, technology and style – making it the perfect combination of character, style, and genuine sport performance.
Significantly updated for 2022, the Speed Twin’s characterful 1200cc High Power Bonneville twin engine brings higher performance, as well as lower emissions. The engine now delivers 3HP more peak power with 98HP at 7,250rpm, plus more power in the mid-range than the previous generation.
Alongside the incredibly strong and linear power delivery, the 2022 Speed Twin also has a fuller torque curve, with peak torque of 82 lbft arriving more than 500rpm lower down the rev range compared to the previous generation.
The responsiveness of the Speed Twin engine has also been enhanced versus the previous generation, thanks to a 17% reduction in inertia obtained via a new lightweight crankshaft and alternator. These enable the engine to spin up faster than the previous generation, and rev harder for longer, with a red line now 500rpm higher than before. In addition, new high compression pistons, revised ports and a new cam profile complete the list of performance enhancements.
The distinctive sound of the Bonneville Twin is amplified by the new brushed stainless steel megaphone twin upswept sports silencers, that have been carefully crafted for a deep, throaty roar to match the Speed Twin’s legendary name. The innovative and uninterrupted exhaust header run cleverly conceals the catalyst box, delivering the characteristic clean-line “straight-run” design.
As with all models in Triumph’s Modern Classic range, the cost of ownership is kept low thanks to the high first major service interval of 10,000 miles / 16,000 kilometres.
Class leading Handling
Already acknowledged for its superb, sure-footed comfortable handling, the new generation Speed Twin benefits from a number of significant upgrades for an even more precise, agile and dynamic ride.
New for 2022, the Speed Twin comes equipped with higher specification upside down 43mm Marzocchi front forks with cartridge damping, bringing a more confidence-inspiring and comfortable ride with 120mm wheel travel. With the addition of higher specification fully adjustable Öhlins piggy-back twin rear suspension units with gloss black springs 2023 Speed Twin Breitling Limited Edition comes delivers an even more precise and comfortable ride.
Further enhancing the new generation Speed Twin, braking performance is improved with new higher specification Brembo 4-piston M50 radial monobloc front brake calipers and twin 320mm Brembo discs. Alongside the Nissin 2-piston floating rear caliper with 220mm disc, and ABS fitted as standard, these deliver a stronger initial braking-bite, more feel and better fade characteristics.
Ensuring incredible grip, precision and high-speed stability, new Metzeler Racetec RR tires are fitted as standard for the 2021 model, along with new cast aluminum wheels, 17” on both front and rear, with a lightweight 12-spoke design.
A beautifully balanced motorcycle, the Speed Twin brings an intuitive and confidence-inspiring ride. The ergonomics are perfectly proportioned with an accessible 809mm seat height, a slim stand over width, tapered handlebars and a comfortable roadster foot-peg position, which are 38mm further forward and 4mm lower than the Thruxton, providing the rider with a more relaxed riding position.
The new generation Speed Twin is packed with rider-focused technology, including a sophisticated ride-by-wire system that ensures precise throttle control and enables three riding modes: Rain, Road and Sport. These have been enhanced for 2022, adjusting both the throttle response and traction control settings to suit the rider’s preference. The riding modes can be changed at the touch of a button while on the move, to respond to any change in riding conditions, maximising rider confidence and safety. The rider can also choose to switch the traction control off independently through the instrument menu. The bike is also equipped with an LED rear light and indicators.
The contemporary 3D clocks incorporate a digital menu system accessed by the scroll button mounted on the handlebar. This provides the rider will all the key information, including gear position, two trip settings, fuel level and range-to-empty, as well an average and current fuel consumption, access to traction control settings and TPMS indicator if fitted as an accessory.
Other rider focused technology includes an under-seat USB charging socket, an accessory Tire Pressure Monitoring System and an immobilizer with transponder integrated into the premium Triumph branded key.
More Premium Style and Detailing
Incorporating Triumph’s timeless DNA with a contemporary stripped-back custom style
and poise, the new 2022 Speed Twin is even more beautiful and now comes with even
more stylish details.
In addition to the new 12 spoke cast wheels and twin upswept sporty silencers with brushed stainless-steel headers, the Speed Twin is characterised by its signature-shaped 3.8-Gal (14.5L) tank with knee indents, beautiful bar end mirrors, sculpted side panels and stylish bench seat.
Premium details and finishes are harmonized across the bike, including brushed aluminum front and rear mudguards with new mounts, plus brushed aluminium side panel finishers and heel guards. Additional premium touches and details can be found in the new anodised headlamp mounts to compliment the painted headlamp bowl, classic Monza fuel cap and clear anodised aluminum swingarm.
The Genesis of a Motorcycle Icon
Changing the face of motorcycling, the original 1938 Triumph Speed Twin, with the world’s first successful parallel twin engine packaged into a game changing chassis, was a revelation to ride. Its smooth dynamic handling and superb responsive feel established Triumph as the number one motorcycle marque globally for performance and handling, setting the template for all that followed, and earning a global reputation for being the first real ‘riders’ bike’.
The new Speed Twin sets the benchmark all over again for its balance of torque-rich performance, agile and dynamic handling, and stunning contemporary custom motorcycle design and character.
ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION
Type Liquid cooled, 8 valve, SOHC, 270° crank angle parallel twin
Capacity 1200 cc
Bore 97.6 mm
Stroke 80 mm
Maximum Power 98.6 HP (100 PS) @ 7250 rpm
Maximum Torque 82.6 LBFT (112 Nm) @ 4250 rpm
Fuel System Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection
Exhaust Brushed stainless steel 2 into 2 exhaust system with twin silencers
Final Drive O ring chain
Clutch Wet, multi-plate torque assist clutch
Frame Tubular steel, with steel cradles
Swingarm Twin sided aluminum
Front Wheel Cast aluminum alloy 17” x 3.5”
Rear Wheel Cast aluminum alloy 17” x 5.0”
Front Tire 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire 160/60 ZR17
Front Suspension Ø 43mm USD Marzocchi forks, 120mm travel
Rear Suspension Fully adjustable Öhlins piggy-back twin rear suspension units
Front Brakes Twin Ø 320mm discs, Brembo M50 4-piston radial monobloc calipers, ABS
Rear Brakes Single Ø 220mm disc, Nissin 2-piston floating caliper, ABS
Instruments Twin dial analogue speedometer and tachometer with LCD multi-functional displays
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHTS
Length 82.63 in (2099 mm)
Width (Handlebars) 30.63 in (778 mm)
Height Without Mirrors 43.18 in (1097 mm)
Seat Height 31.85 in (809 mm)
Wheelbase 55.63 in (1413 mm)
Trail 3.6 in (91.5 mm)
Wet weight 476.2 lbs (216 kg)
Fuel Tank Capacity 3.83 gal (14.5 litres)
Fuel Consumption 5.1 litres / 100 km
CO2 Figures 116 g/km
Standard CO2 emissions and fuel consumption data are measured according to regulation 168/2013/EC. Figures for fuel consumption are derived from specific test conditions and are for comparative purposes only. They may not reflect real driving results.
– END –
• First established in 1902, Triumph Motorcycles celebrated 120 years of motorcycle manufacture in 2022. For more than three decades, Triumph Motorcycles has been based in Hinckley, Leicestershire, and has produced iconic bikes that perfectly blend authentic design, character, charisma and performance.
• Through its global dealer network of 701 dealers, in 2021 Triumph sold a record number of 81,541 motorcycles, representing a growth over the prior year of 29%.
• This focus, innovation and engineering passion has today created a broad range of bikes suited to all motorcycle riders, including the stunning new transcontinental Tiger 1200 Rally and GT line-up, Speed Triple 1200 RR and RS, Tiger Sport 660 and Trident 660, epic Tiger 900, world leading Rocket 3 R and GT, high performance Street Triple 765 RS, iconic Scrambler 1200, and the legendary Triumph Bonneville family updated for 2021, including the Bonneville Bobber, Thruxton RS, Street Twin, Street Scrambler, and the iconic Bonneville T120 and T100, plus an exciting and accessible A2 range of Triumph motorcycles.
• Triumph currently employs around 2000 personnel worldwide and has subsidiary operations in the UK, North America, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Sweden (Scandinavia), Benelux, Brazil, India, China and Thailand as well as a network of independent distributors. Triumph has manufacturing facilities in Hinckley, Leicestershire, and Thailand plus CKD facilities in Brazil and India.
• The Triumph Bonneville, famously named to celebrate Triumph’s 1956 land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, USA, was the original British superbike and a race-winner straight out of the crate, chosen by famous motorcyclists of the past for its legendary handling, style, and character. Updated for 2022 with even more performance, capability and style, it’s that handling, character and iconic looks, married to modern rider-focused technology that makes the new Bonneville family THE authentic modern classic choice today.
• Triumph has a glorious racing history, competing in and winning races in almost every class and field of motorcycle sporting achievement. From winning the second ever Isle of Man TT in 1908, through to 1960s road and track domination in Europe and America, right up to contemporary racing achievements with the 675cc Triumph triple powered 2014 Daytona 200 win, the 2014 Isle of Man Supersports TT win, the 2014 and 2015 British Supersports titles and World SuperSport racing, and in 2019, with another victory at the Isle of Man Supersports TT, by Peter Hickman.
• Triumph’s racing legend continues as the exclusive engine supplier to the FIM Moto2™ World Championship since the start of the 2019 season. Triumph Motorcycles provides all teams with race-tuned 765cc triples, each of which is based on the class-leading Street Triple RS powerplant. Redefining the class and breaking record after record in the inaugural year, including the first ever +300km/h Moto2™ top speed, the 2020 season got even faster with another 11 all-time lap records and seven different winners from 15 races. In 2021, Triumph announced the renewal of the contract as the exclusive engine supplier to the FIM Moto2™ World Championship for three more years.
• Triumph’s racing activities are further bolstered by factory-supported race team in both the World SuperSport Championship (Dynavolt Triumph) and British SuperSport Championship.
• In 2021 Triumph have announced their forthcoming entry into the Motocross and Enduro worlds as well as a new factory racing effort, with a commitment to top tier championship racing in both Motocross and Enduro series.